When did you last visit the doctor?
If you share the same 'gender' as the person responsible for writing this rubbish, the answer is most likely to be... um, er. A while ago.
In fact, recent research by TENA Men has found that one in five of us (that is, men) admitted that their last general check-up was over two years ago; a further 18 per cent confessed that their worst health habit was not visiting the doctor at all, even when they have a serious health issue.
'To help you break these habits,' they said, 'we want you to complete a ‘personal MOT’ to make sure everything is in perfect working order. You wouldn’t ignore an MOT on your car,' they told me, 'so why do it when it comes to your own health?'
'We will send you all you need,' they went on, 'to keep control of both your health and life. Like every MOT, you can follow the same steps when it comes to your own health.'
And they did. The kit includes:
- Lights: Visibility is essential when driving, this is the same with everyday life. So I have a Specsavers voucher to use towards an eye-test or some new specs!
- Steering & Suspension: As a car gets older we all notice those little creaks more and more. The same happens to our own body, that’s why it’s important to look after your joints and muscles and stretch them out using the correct equipment to keep you running like a well-oiled machine! With this in mind they've send me some resistant bands so I can put my strength to the test and stretch out any knots I might have.
- Fuel System: Checking for leaks is important to make sure your car’s fuel system is in working order. The TENA Men Absorbent Protector can help mop-up all those drips and dribbles to ensure you can go from 0-100 without any hiccups along the way. If you had a leaky exhaust you’d get it checked out right? I haven't, but they kindly sent me some of these as well.
- Bodywork: Every man takes pride in making sure their car looks spic and span and this should be the same when it comes to our own appearance. Treating yourself to a hot shave could be all we need to look and feel our best. But don’t forget to moisturise after too.
- Emissions: Although it’s important to take care of the parts we can see. It’s also just as important to make sure everything is running smoothly behind the scenes. It’s vital to have a healthy immune system to make sure you can go through the day at peak performance! By swapping a cup of green tea a day instead of my regular coffee I can gain a whole host of benefits, as the antioxidants and nutrients can have powerful effects on the body’s immune system.
- Tyres: Your tyres are checked for a number of things at an MOT, tyre pressure being one of them. So they've sent a Fitbit so I can check my blood pressure and watch my fitness 'on the go'. A well trained athlete's resting heart rate is 40-60 bpm (apparently). 'Do you think you can mix it with the pro’s?' they asked me.
Well, I know the answer to that.
But as for the rest of the service, time will tell.
I'll let you know.